- Preheat the waffle iron.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a second bowl, beat together the egg yolks and sugar until sugar is completely dissolved and eggs have turned a pale yellow.
- Add the vanilla extract, melted butter, and milk to the egg and sugar mixture and whisk until combined.
- Combine the mixed wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and whisk just until blended. Do not overmix.
- In a third bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Using a rubber spatula to fold the egg whites into the batter. Do not overmix!
- Coat the waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray and pour enough batter in iron to just cover waffle grid.
- Close and cook as per manufacturer's instructions until golden brown, about 2 to 5 minutes.
Mango Blueberry Compote
- Add frozen blueberries and mangos to a large pot and heat over medium-high until blueberries break down and mangoes become soft about 10-15 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Bring fruit to a light boil, stir in sugar, and return to a boil.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water and pour over the fruit.
- Stir the mixture vigorously for 1 minute and then remove from heat and let cool and thicken, stirring occasionally.
- Bottle up and store in the fridge or freezer, or use right away on the waffles.
If you store in the freezer, only fill about 3/4 of the jar. The filling should keep in the freezer for 3-4 months, or in the fridge for about 1-2 weeks. Reheat in the microwave to soften back up, you may need to add a little water to reach desired consistency.